Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crowns and Beauty...


My cousin recently won the title of Miss Boston which will allow her to compete for Miss Massachusetts. I am not a fan of pageants really but I am a fan of my cousin and I think it is cute and quirky that she notes the following about herself- "I have fostered and rehabilitated almost 50 animals in the past three years ranging from bottle-baby kittens, to opossums, to baby rabbits. I can also pull a 40-foot rig, drive a tractor, and make delicious frosting."
She has for years been involved in animal rescue and humane education in college and through her non profit organization Shelter Me and I suppose this title will help her organization gain recognition andhelp her to make an even bigger difference. Ezra just thinks it's great that Aunt Sara is a real princess now. 



My dad  sent the following email around to family members about the beauty gene in our family... it gave me a chuckle...  

Dear Cousins,

When one shoots at a target, and if one is good, the bullet strikes on the paper are close together.  But nearly always, if enough shots are fired, there is bullet strike that removed from the main group.  These aberrational shots are called fliers, for one reason or another, known only to god, they are off target.  Coming from a family that on the one side included Julie Newmar and uncle Bob, whose 20 foot high portrait in a Marine Corps recruiting poster graced Grand Central Station, and on the other side included my beautiful Aunt Delores, and her wonderfully, bilaterally, symmetrical siblings,  I have always considered myself a flier, aesthetically at least, and was worried that my appearance on the scene foreshadowed a decline in the aesthetic qualities of our genome.  Not to worry, your relative and mine, Sara Carlisle is the new Miss Boston, as our genome continues into the next century as beautiful as ever.  Except there will be a flier now and then.
Steve

P.S My dad is actually quite cute. 



3 comments:

Denise said...

Nice post re: Miss Sara and I'm wondering where Julie Newmar fits in? I did read your dad's email and I quite agree he is a cutie - his sense of humor and way with words makes him even more attractive! Of course I've always loved your mom's down home natural beauty and all of you Carlisle girls inherited it. I myself need a pound of mascara, blush, etc. or you can't even see my features - kinda bordering on albino, you know? But it all works together and I feel blessed - but I do admire you natural fresh scrubbed "wake up in the morning" - just smile and voila - tres jolie!!

Emily said...

Will you congratulate my former student for me? Very exciting for her. That mermaid dress is out of this world! xo e

Elita said...

Aunt Denise, You are gorgeous. there is a reason you dabbled in modeling when you were a bit younger. Nana apparently said something to dad once about Julie Newmar being a distant relative. probably bs, who knows. Some of the folks in our family believe we are descendants of Isaac Newton too. I don't think there is any proof...It's fun to pretend though...

I'll tell her Emily. She is having fun with all of this...I love her dress too. I'll have to ask her where to find sparkly mermaid dresses. I think everyone needs one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails