Thursday, March 24, 2011

from lemons comes curd

As I was inspecting Henry's winter coat for signs indicating immediate laundering turning his pockets inside out and throwing away tissues, a broken nerf bullet and a crumpled clue from a birthday treasure hunt, it occurred to me that avoiding this blog because my life has been so difficult might be a bit silly. It is true that on some days I am too busy to write or think about the blog; papers, preschool, my own children demand so much of my time. But I have also been avoiding it because Matty moved out in October. And it is a topic so painful and personal. Then I realized that most people who read this blog know about it. And while I am not about to turn my blog into The  Diary of a Woebegone Woman, I can use it to write about what is helping us through this painful time.

Marriage is complicated. Matt and I still love each other and we intend to work through this together and come out  happier individuals in the end, whether we are Together or Not. Which is why we have been doing this slowly. Which is why our kids do not even know. And why we are trying to be good friends to each other. But I don't always see things this clearly. Sometimes it all seems just sad and confusing. We have spent nearly half our lives together. Who am I without Matt?

As you can probably tell, today is a good day. Possibly because the sun is shining and I have the day off tomorrow. Possibly because I slept less fitfully last night. Possibly because I burned so much sage and lit so many candles while I took a bath at 2 in the afternoon that I am experiencing a chemical high that one only experiences after breathing in sage and candles and listening to a favorite bluegrass pandora station so loud that the neighbors think you are having a spiritual hoedown.

So I am trying to be gentle with myself and Matt. Not selfish or indulgent. But gentle. Which means forgiving and kind.  And maybe it means buying sage smudge sticks in bulk.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Dear Kelly, I love your writing - reading this a few minutes ago I felt intrigued, then sad, then hopeful and now I just want to send you a hug - There's a little ache in my heart and I'm feeling like I know you but since I haven't spent more than 10 minutes with you in over 25 years - I can't really know you - so this ache is puzzling - but I've come to believe that it's important to acknowledge emotions and accept them without labeling, judging and kinda pass through them - and hope that love and goodness and truth will lead everything to what it is meant to be. BIG HUG to you and know that you will be in my prayers for whatever you need...

Elita said...

Thanks. It is good to know you are thinking of us. xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails