Thursday, December 20, 2007

squeaky clean chowder eating monsters



Christmas is so close! I still have a bunch of things to do. Henry and I got sick and messed it all up. I had wanted to make special gifts for his teachers. Luckily the room parents( boy am I glad that I applied too late for that volunteer position) collected money for gift cert. and a brick in Ms. Felix's honor. Henry really loves his teachers and I get teary eyed when I think of how grateful I am that my first born, who is especially sensitive and unique, was given the perfect teachers for his first year of school. Artistic, sensitive, flexible, affectionate...and there are three of them!!! So, they are each getting some homemade currant jam from this past summer, which isn't too shabby, I suppose.

Today, I have a few secret projects to work on and I am going to help my neighbor do something crafty which is entirely new for her. She wants to make stockings for her new little family ( 6mo.old Cathil and her husband Niall). So we are off to JoAnn's for some felt and trim.


I meant to talk about chowder first. I made some great chowder the other day. Every once in a while I am proud of a meal. It isn't usually because it is gourmet or anything fancy. I am proud when I have made something yummy, relatively healthy and with ingredients on hand. This fish chowder qualifies. Chowder is easy. I saute onions, celery and potatoes. Add stock. Add frozen corn and maybe fish or crab, when I am not feeling really poor (once a year, after a glass or two of wine). Speaking of wine, throw some in there (white of course). At the end, add some cream or half and half or whole milk, if you want to be puritanical. If you have fresh basil, that is a good thing. Also a fresh salad of winter greens ( mache, arugula, tat soi, kale) grown (illegally) outside your front door is always excellent. All you need now are some chowder-eating monsters, always plentiful around here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails