Friday, February 26, 2010

all ova the place, sheesh

I know of no one who is purely autistic or neurotypical. Even God had some autistic moments, which is why the planets all spin.

-Jerry Newport, Your Life is Not a Label

Why does he have to make so many little pieces of the stuff?

In the midst of writing about the CDC's most recently published prevalence rates of Autism Spectrum Disorders, I thought I would take a break and play with my neglected (ha) 4 yr. old.

And speaking of ASDs, Temple Grandin is speaking at THe UMass School of management (right across form visitor parking) Tuesday at 9:30 am and if I can't get off work for the morning I may have to quit my job. She is an astoundingly important person in so many ways.

Play dough

• 1 cup flour
• 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
• ½ cup salt
• 1 to 2 Tbsp cooking oil
• 1 cup water
• food coloring
Mix flour, cream of tartar, and salt in a pan. Mix desired coloring with water, add with oil to dry mixture. Cook over medium heat until thick. Mix in coloring later if preferred.

I usually double this and add a ton of food coloring and some essential oil. This time, peppermint. I really should have bulk lavender essential oil in my house. What is up with that?

Today I treated myself and Ezra to a lunch at Freshside. We have not been in awhile. Hot Thai tea and ginger rice with tofu was a perfectly soothing antidote for what felt like a super frenetic week. Why frenetic? Other than the fact that it is nearly mid term? and everything is starting to be due, it has been raining/sleeting/slushing for days now. Disgusting. Warm, delicious food makes these things more acceptable.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails