Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the bane


Would someone please put me out of my misery and tell me I am a diabetic? Lie to me. Every time it is raining or threatening to do so, every time it is cold outside, I want to bake and eat copious amounts of sugar.  I have to either move to Greece or convince myself I am allergic to sugar. Today I made my favorite lazy, low brow cookies.  I am pretty sure I used to call these "white trash cookies" before I realized that was a nasty term to use.  You basically throw 2 embarrassing cups of sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa pwder, 1stick of butter, 1/2 tsp. of vanilla into a pan. boil for a minute then add 1/2 cup peant butter and 3 cups quick oats. The result is  fudge meets oatmeal. healthy right? Groan. Ack. I have a tummy ache. The tummy ache I warned my children about. These are the cookies my friends and I made in junior high. The same friends that I would sneak out with at night to drink ginger brandy, or cheap vodka and smoke granny's slims. The same friends who had deep fryers and deer and wildlife murals in their living rooms. Our dads all went hunting and at some point all of our porches would have dead deer hanging from them. I specifically remember avoiding the north porch for a whole weekend because of "bambi". These were the aqua net friends. We didn't have aerosol in our house so my bangs were decidedly less large. These friends and memories are still dear to me and yet, it is no wonder that these cookies always give me a stomachache.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails