Saturday, June 7, 2008

Diabetic coma and new greens

Catmint
Does anyone know what this is? I " thinned" it from the Univ. gardens...
Lovage


Did you know that 100 gm.s ( 4 oz.) of sugar in any form (honey and fruit included) creates a   50% reduction in your white blood cells abilities to do their job? This disabling effect begins about 1/2 hr. after you eat the sweets and can last up to 5 hours. (Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, Murray and Pizzorno)

I am trying to eat a little less sugar. I read that fact nearly ten years ago and it has been on my mind since. I tend to push it out of my mind when I am shoveling swedish fish into my mouth by the handful. I tend to forget it when I am nearly shaking with a sugar high induced by eating 3 Green and Black Maya bars in one day (okay that never really happened but if I was a rich woman it may have).

I no longer put sugar in my coffee. I have officially ended my 2 yr. swedish fish binge. I ate so many this year that when I see them, bile rushes to the back of my throat.  I am trying to become more reasonable about sweets. I will always love sugar but I need to grow up.

So here is a great cookie recipe. The best oatmeal cookies I have ever made. I love oatmeal cookies because they may have all the sugar and butter of other cookies but they have added fiber from the oats. 


denial oatmeal cookies

2 sticks of butter
13/4 cups of brown sugar, packed 
2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey or homemade jam ( this addition makes the cookies chewy and not crunchy)
1 cup white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour ( oh so healthy)
4 scant cups rolled oats ( this last time i had a bit less oats >33/4<>
11/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp.salt
1tsp vanilla
11/2 cups dark raisons or chocolate chips ( guess which I used)

Preheat to 350


This recipe is adapted from Once upon a Tart-Mentesana and Audereau. I changed a few ingredients and instead of 400 (their suggestion) I use 350. These burn easily. You want the bottoms light brown. It is best to check on them a lot until you know how long your oven takes Our oven is the size of a shoebox and it is very finicky.
I don't have any pictures because we ate them too fast.

On a lighter note, I have recently added some lovage to my garden. I adore lovage because it is a super flavorful herb/green that can be added to salads as a leafy addition or used to flavor tuna salad or the like. The leaves are like a jumbo flat parsley and it tastes like celery. An added bonus is that it takes over sort of like mint. Some wouldn't like that I suppose but I say the more the merrier and anyway I love editing my garden. It also helps that Henry will orally mow down anything easily accessible and edible in the garden. Also new is some catmint. I just love tall, fragrant, flowering herbs that look like they belong in a cottage garden.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails