Friday, February 27, 2009

IEP


Recently, I had a very depressing convo. with the director of my preschool. I greatly respect the woman who runs the preschool where I teach. She has decades of experience in the field. She has experience teaching in Montessori, Waldorf, Reggio, Public schools and more. For many years, she taught education classes at the undergraduate level. She knows education. I love her approach to working with young children. She is an amazing woman and I feel lucky to teach with her. The other day we were discussing our sons and their experiences having IEPs. Her son is about to graduate and she feels that the system really failed him. How could this happen to the son of an education expert? How can I prevent this from happening to my son?

Henry's problems are not astronomical, but I do worry about him getting lost and slipping through the cracks especially in middle school. And, while his problems seem on the small side now, as he is challenged more and more, his struggles might grow. I found a book today which will hopefully help me understand the system a bit more (until I get that degree in Special Ed.).
I have already learned a few things, for instance, "placement" on the IEP form, refers to the various classrooms or schools that your child is placed in. "Program", refers to the placement and the types of services, curricula, teaching methods, class makeup etc. For so long now, I feel like I have been treading water with Henry and his schooling. He is doing well? His reading is coming along. Vision therapy has helped him a lot, both in ways that are obvious to Matt and I, and as evidenced by the tests that have been administered. His anxiety has been less of a problem this year. I still worry about his ability to focus, his writing, his confidence. I worry that with the budget cuts our district is undergoing, classes will get bigger and thus more distracting for Henry.
I want him to continue to love school. And I know I need to stay on top of this whole I.E.P thing which seems difficult, because I don't understand it all and I have a zillion other things to do, hello: job, 3 yr. old son, husband working on doctorate...



6 comments:

Susan said...

Kelly,

Be VERY glad Henry is going to school in the U.S... IEP? What's an IEP?
I have more to tell which I will put in an email later...

Anonymous said...

What is IEP, Kelly?

I think you are a great parent with Henry (and Ezra too!). His ATC's are fantastic and he is lucky to have such a great mother who supports and loves him!

Jen

P.S.- Are you going to grad school for Special Ed Teaching? That is fanastic! A greyhound friend of mine is doing that right now, too. She already has her MA in teaching but is taking the extra classes needed for the special ed degree at Leymoyne, in Syracuse.

Unknown said...

I think that is awesome that you are actively seeking out knowledge on IEP's. Henry is very lucky to have you as a mom! I can tell you as a middle school teacher, it is hard to keep on top of all the various parts of the IEP's for all of my students, but the ones that are most successful are the ones with support at home, which he clearly has!

Elita said...

I. E. P= Individualized education plan...what a group of teachers/ therapists/parents school people come together and create to help kids with special needs succeed in school?

Elita said...

Susan, I am sending you a letter soon, I promise. I eagerly await news from you...

Elita said...

Thanks for the positive comments, sometimes I am a total witch of a mom, but I try. Nobody's perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails