Wednesday, April 21, 2010

pineapple upside down cake

naughty is a latte and cake in the middle of the day

There is little in life more comforting to me than baking and/or eating baked goods. Which is sad and unfortunate, I know. Gardening comes to mind as does painting and reading, snuggling with my kids, campfires, being with friends. But back to baking...There are some obvious reasons to love baking and eating baked goods. On top of the fat, sugar and other sensory factors is the Nana Kitty factor. My mom did not bake constantly. She was busy raising 4 kids of her own and a bunch of other peoples' kids too. She also managed to sing in a group, sew, and make our homes comfortable and lovely. But when Nana Kitty visited, there were baked goods. Yummy ones. I don't think I can think of her without visualizing flour on the counter and butter in a bowl. So, when I am licking sticky fingers and feeling the warmth from my oven it is almost like my nana is near...

In the last few days I have made Challah bread (which I love to make but this was a flop and I am too embarrassed to discuss it now), the aforementioned cake and today, brownies. Why all of this baking?
It has something to do with stress. Papers. and the fact that I have no more gardening to do, unless I re-landscape the miniscule plot I am blessed with. And I cannot continue to read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest until school is done. That leaves baking.







Betty Crocker's Pineapple Upside Down cake- a classic, my nana Kitty would likely agree..


1/4 cup butter
2/3cup packed brown sugar
9slices pineapple in juice (from 14-oz can), drained
1 1/3cups all-purpose flour
1cup granulated sugar
1/3cup shortening
1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
3/4cup milk
1egg
Print these coupons...
About Concordance™
1.Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch square pan, melt butter
in oven.
Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar.
2.In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients
with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds,
scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed
3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour
batter over pineapple and cherries.
3.Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean.
Immediately place heatproof serving
plate upside down over pan; turn plate
and pan over. Leave pan over cake a
few minutes so brown sugar mixture
can drizzle over cake; remove pan.
Serve warm. Store cake loosely covered.


1 comment:

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

YUM! Just made some pineapple upside down cupcakes for my baking blog myself! delicious! :)
http://cuppycakebakes.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails